I was faced with questions all along the same theme: What?? Why there in February?
Well, let me tell you, Chicago is good fun at any time of year. Would it have been better with warm weather, the waterfront and the Cubs at Wrigley? Well, of course, but we wouldn't have got the same sort of hotel deal, you can be sure of that.
Let me first deal with the inevitable question about the weather: It was unbelievably frigid at times (Friday, Monday), surprisingly mild (and sunny!) at others (Sat-Sun) and we had our return flight delayed because of high winds. So there you go, clearly it was not the Bahamas but we still had a great time.
Some highlights if you ever decide to go:
- Eat some deep dish pizza
- Riding the EL
- Going up the Sears Tower
- Walking the Mag Mile
- Walking along the waterfront by Oak Street Beach (yes, even during the winter, although you might want to choose a sunny, calm day)
- The zoo
- Millennium Park
- Drinks at Ditka’s (we should have stayed here for a steak)
- Trendy restaurant in the West Loop (we went to Sepia - which was excellent. Blackbird and Avec both came highly recommended)
- Night out at a blues bar
- Blackhawks game
- Steak dinner at steak joint
- The Art Institute of Chicago
- Drinks at the Signature Lounge on the 95th floor of the John Hancock tower
Missed items for next time:
- Bars in Fulton Market District
- Bars / restaurants in Rush Street area
- Second City