Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Quick thoughts on a busy trade deadline day….

New Jersey Devils – picked up a typical Jersey player. Is it just me of is beginning to feel a lot like this could be a Jersey year (again, ugh)? Salvador fits their system and they didn’t need to be bold as they are hitting their stride as we move into the latter stages of the season. You know they’ll be solid defensively and that Sutter will have them play a tenacious style. So the big question is can they score enough? Elias, Parise, Gionta et al, over to you.

Ottawa Senators – yikes! I like their pickup of Lapointe from a dressing room perspective, particularly as they got shut out again tonight (this time by Boston). No big moves by Murray but I think now that the main part of his GMing (is that a word?? Is is now)is done for the season he’s trying to figure out the best time to can Paddock and step back behind the bench. This has been a successful tactic in the past as it normally gives the team a lift and he is a good motivator.

Pittsburgh Penguins – Interesting move picking up Hossa. I was shocked when I read it on the ticker. I guess they figure the East is wide open this year so why not go for it? A long playoff run will also do wonders for their young players. Unless he loves playing with Crosby so much that he is willing to sign at a substantial discount, I don’t see Hossa staying in Pittsburg. Tampa Bay has proven you can’t tie up so much cap space in 3 forwards and they need to take care of Malkin this summer. Not to mention they still have Gonchar $5 million per season and Whitney at $4 million per year…. It will be interesting to see what the Pens do in the off-season with Hossa and Malkin (RFA in the summer of 2009).

Dallas – Huge move. I think Richards will pay big dividends.


I'll post my plan for fixing the Leafs tomorrow. Unfortunately there aren't any magic bullets or easy solutions.

No comments: