Monday, May 4, 2009

The Tragically Hip Project - Part I (The EP)

The Hip's new album rocks (well, that isn't the right word for it, but it is damn good) and they've got six shows in May at Massey Hall... so this seemed like a perfect time for the Slightly Worn Around The Edges Tragically Hip Countdown Extravaganza (hereafter known as The Tragically Hip Project).

This little project will determine the favourite SWATE Hip songs of all time. This highly subjective study will start by my choosing the top 5 songs per album* and then having some sort of elimination process. Sort of like the BCS playoffs, only the complete opposite. Well, maybe not the complete opposite. Maybe more like the NHL playoffs. Lots of teams get in but then it is a life or death two month struggle to determine the champion and the last team standing gets to hoist the Cup before enjoying a short summer vacation. Perhaps not that either, but I prefer that analogy. Sounds much more scientific than if I determined a winner by blasting tunes on my iPod and drinking Highland Park scotch (well, a little more scientific anyway). Without further ado, here is Round 1: The Tragically Hip (EP).

* These are just initial seedings and might not necessarily hold throughout the competition)

The Tragically Hip (EP) - when your nothing I am and I'm something you ain't

1. Smalltown Bringdown
2. Last American Exit
3. Killing Time
4. Cemetery Sideroad
5. Highway Girl (Would rate much higher with one of the classic live versions - e.g. double suicide... That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

No comments: