Sunday, January 25, 2009

Robbie Burns Day

Today is the 250th anniversary of Scottish poet Robbie Burns' birthday. It is a big deal in Scotland and around the world. For those of you who have never tasted haggis, I suggest you rectify that this weekend. It sounds disgusting but is quite tasty.

Burns is best known for his love songs/poems and, I would imagine, for Auld Lang Syne. His poems take on new life when read aloud. Here are a few links. Take some time to read a few of his poems aloud to a loved one. Add scotch, if necessary or if so desired.

Once again, my apologies to the ever game person who had to read 'A Red, Red Rose' at my wedding. You did great and it was wonderful.


A Red, Red, Rose

O my Luve's like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June:
O my Luve's like the melodie,
That's sweetly play'd in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare-thee-weel, my only Luve!
And fare-thee-weel, a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' 'twere ten thousand mile!

No comments: