Thursday, June 26, 2008

Music for the long weekend

1. I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You - Black Kids

Normally descriptions of what new music sounds like aren't that helpful (e.g. Hot Chip was often called Abba meets Radiohead. In terms of musically sensibility, maybe. In terms of sound, that is a stretch). However, in this case, I think you can describe the Black Kids sound, on this song anyway: The Go! Team if they were fronted by Robert Smith of the Cure. Awesome song.



2. Violet Hill - Coldplay

I was quite prepared not to like their new stuff but this song is good and has an edge to it. I'm not as enamoured with the title track.



3. Shut Up And Let Me Go - The Ting Tings

I don't know if this is terrible or cool? The CSS comparisons are definitely valid, and someone said they reminded them of Blondie, but the Tings could also slip into Black Eyed Peas territory. Very catchy and not sure if it is good or trash? Sounds like a perfect summer song.



4. See You Again - Miley Cyrus

Full, embarrassing disclosure: I love this song. I really, really love it. I love it in a way I haven't loved a cheesy, pop song since Kylie's "Can't Get You Out Of My Head". There, I've said it.

No comments: