Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Best of 2009

'Tis the season for lists and I'll not disappoint. The next few posts will likely all be lists. Many will focus on "Best of the Decade" but we need to close out 2009 first. Without further ado here are some of my faves from 2009:

MUSIC
  1. Gimme Sympathy - Metric
  2. Empire State of Mind - Jay-Z
  3. Kids - MGMT (released in Oct. '08 but everywhere in '09)
  4. Sometime Around Midnight - The Airborne Toxic Event
  5. Love is a First - The Tragically Hip
  6. One Track Mind - Classified
  7. One Day - Matisyahu
  8. Follow Me - Cuff the Duke (love the whole album but in the year of Twitter I had to go with this one)
  9. Cornerstone - Arctic Monkeys
  10. I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris - Morrissey
HONOURABLE MENTION:
Being Here - The Stills
Sweet Child 'O Mine - Taken By Trees
I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman - K-OS
Laces Out - USS
Sweet Tides - Thievery Corporation

MOVIES
Sadly, my movie going took a major hit this year so I can't really put together a 'Best Of' list for 2009. That said, I did just see Up and Star Trek and highly recommend them both. Also, you should take in the documentary Trouble the Water; it was nominated for a 2008 Academy Award, losing out to the also amazing Man on Wire.

BOOKS
It is not a 2009 book, but I read it this year and can't recommend it enough. Do yourself a favour a read What is the What by Dave Eggers. It is immensely sad while also being hopeful and inspiring. An incredible book. 

No comments: